Sunday, January 20, 2008

Simplicity




I blame this nostalgia on my impending return to work. Background: when I was young I used to want to me Laura Ingalls Wilder. Seriously. I wanted to live-on-the-plains and be she-who-rides-horses and live in an underground house. I even had the dress. Fast forward to the future: now, I sometime also wish for a simpler life(I'm all for in-home plumbing, but really, horses for transportation would rock my world). I would love to wake up and see my daughter and husband and without the impediment of modern technology (alarm clocks suck), but instead lots and lots of hugs. I don't want to be on the computer daily, or watch TV 24-7. I don't want to drive miles with a phone in my ear. Even our Wii, as cool as it is, sometimes I would give it all up for a upstairs apartment or cozy little home in the city where we can walk to work, get groceries on our way home, and smile and wave at friends we meet on the way. My fave living arrangement was a small apartment in the Nashville ghetto where I biked to work (occasionally, but was only a couple miles away), ran daily with the pups, frequented eclectic coffee shops on foot, and really enjoyed the town that I lived in. I just wonder, if all of this 'stuff' is what God had intended? Does it really let us 'live-in-this-very-moment' to any fuller extent than before we had it all? I know it makes it harder for me. I get caught up in 'things' of life too easily, something that I'm really working on changing since I've had Adalynn. I want to savor every moment of her being and growing. It's scary, to think that last Thursday at her 2month Dr appt she was 12.1lbs already, 22 some inches. Pretty soon she'll walking, then off to kindergarten, then college, then...ugh, I don't even want to think about it! But, thank God, she isn't that old yet. Now I just have to simplify...somehow. cause right now life is moving too fast!

*

Ironically
I have recently become friends with my sewing machine. It rocks, and really isn't as tempermental as I thought it was a couple of years ago. Maybe it just had to grow out of it's terrible 2s. There are these mini legwarmers for chilluns called "babylegs". They are very fun. And I've learned how to sew them! Enjoy Adalynn showing off hers...


She's doing her "see no evil" pose. And I've also made a kick a** mini diaper/wipe holder bag thing. So I don't know what to call it, but it's great.
*
SAHM?
(stay at home mom? for those who are not up on their mommie lingo) I would love to be. But only because this 'vacation' that maternity leave is supposed to be is not, but very busy instead. Our latest venture is finishing our basement. Here's some before and during pictures. Hopefully by the end of the year there will be some 'almost finished' pictures.


My laundry room before


*

During (and my hubby and his drywalling job)

*



*


and after drywall...

*

so paint is still coming, but in the meantime, we're having fun with it. stay tuned for more pictures once we get paint on it. (we're thinking light ice blue for the rec area, light yellow for the laundry room. but anyone have any other ideas?)

*

K. Gotta run and feed the dear daughter. Adios and love!




No comments: