It's like they've practiced. One looks at me while the other looks away, and then SWITCH!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Monday, January 3, 2011
The FarM's first baby, Grimmie, is growing like a weed. No, scratch that, a fine, well-rooted tree.
His favorite activity is departing from Peach's side to dart into the stall, bucking, running, and turning before returning to the outside.
He is shedding out some around his muzzle and eyes, and the new hair is dark. Like, Peach dark. Oh, what color will he grow into? The excitement is killing me.
He's showing a tendency towards becoming a one-person horse. He strongly prefers 1-person handling him at a time. And he likes predictability, and stands quite well when I shut the half-door between Peach and him for handling time.
He won't eat treats from my hand yet, but loves scratches at his shoulder (just like his mom). What a hoot, learning more about Grim. We're loving it!
Saturday, January 1, 2011
The 1st of the year seems like an opportune time to return to blogging. I've missed it, but man, we've been livin'! What are we up to? Here's a run-down.
1. T is taking a basic EMT course, 2 nights a week.
2. I frantically knitted through December, attempting to finish Christmas presents on time. It partially worked, see #3.
3. We've been healing from the flu. Yes, all of us. K "spit up", in A's language, multiple (like, 8?) times on the Thursday before Christmas. She convinced us it was food that hadn't settled well, and Friday (Christmas Eve) we traveled to a few of homes for Christmas parties. On Christmas we happily ate breakfast with T's parents. 5 minutes after A laid down for her nap, she spit. And throughout the afternoon, continued to spit. And then I began, and later T. It was a great night...we are very thankful to my dad for coming to pick up K, who we thought was feeling better. But then, the day after Christmas, my Dad started to feel sick. Needless to say, we have shared the love with just about our entire family. Sorry...
4. The FarM: Grimmie is g-r-o-w-i-n-g. Big. And I love him so. He thrives on predictability, and prefers to be handled apart from mom, but able to see her. He tolerates me, but is skittish with more than one person around. He'll be allright. The other horses, chickens, and cats are muddling through the winter well. We've modified the water tank and blown through 3 water pumps, but hey, thank God for warranties.
5. What I have not been doing is taking many pictures. Somewhere along the way I have lost the charger for my camera battery. My camera is announcing 1 bar left on the display, and I'm trying to scrape as much life out of it as I can. So if you come across a battery charger for a Canon Rebel DSLR, please send it my way!
5. Christmas....was good. We are so thankful for friends and family. So thankful. We are truly blessed.
So what does 2011 have in store for us?
1. T says he is going to "take his wife to rodeos". For which I am thankful. (this may, or may not, have something to do with a Bourbon Tour is he planning with some friends for spring?! which may work out for both of us...)
2. FarM - we are hoping to start saving money for a brush hog. And to put more fencing up. I think, those are the 2 main items that we have slated for 2011. But as we know, our goals are subject to change.
3. The House. Our house was the subject for one of our Christmas presents. John and Rennae are funding the tiling of our basement shower, and John is completing (starting and finishing) the trim downstairs. After this, our house will be largely ready to list! Coming this spring....
4. I am signed up for a class through Mars Hill on the Spiritual Practice of Eating and Gardening ... and some other stuff but I don't have the class info in front of me right now. I'm super excited.
My New Year's Resolution: Study the Bible more. I am hoping to complete 1 devotional a day, and read the corresponding passage. Realistically, I'm going for reading 5 scripture based devotions and verses a week.
So that's about all that's happening in our neck of the woods...well, the summary of what sticks in my memory at this point anyway. I hope to update again soon. Happy New Year!!!