Wednesday, September 30, 2009

ArtPrize 2009

Unless you've been hiding in a cave, or under a rock, or live in ANTARCTICA, ArtPrize must have reached your earlobes at some point in time. Evidently it's a big deal. I dunno. I think it's just a DeVos way of one-upping me...SO WHAT IF I BEAT YOU IN CROSS COUNTY IN HIGH SCHOOL, MAN, GIVE IT UP ALREADY! But anyway, even if you take away the fact that I AM FASTER, the DeVos' know more people and have more money and that allows them to put on a pretty good show. For once, this past week, GR had life and style. I don't think I've ever seen it before, but wow, keep it going! Please, I beg you! Enough pleading. On with the art. Brackground: So even though it was freezing Tues evening, we (a group including Ed, Deb, Travis, Adalynn, Keely and I) ventured out on the town to experience ArtPrize before Week 1 voting is over. For those of you who have been under a rock, in a cave, etc, ArtPrize is voted on by the public, yup, you and me man, and WE choose the winners. (opening night, last wed, the girls and i traveled into town to my sister's church, Monroe Community, to their opening night reception. it was great, with live music and appetizers (i'd say it all fancy and french but i don't know how to spell it). unfortunately, the memory card was not in my camera. poop.)

The art rocked. It really did. It's amazing what people make from leftovers (note: vertebrae on the liiizzzaaarrrd). Leftover art was the coolest art of all.

Like this Moose.

It's made out of NAILS!!! Ingenious.

Although I blurred the Tin Man and screwed up his picture, this one took some thinking too. Looks like a basic, very bronzed sculpture. Then you look closer, because he has groupies man, and notice that HE'S ALIVE. Crazy!

I hope this mural stays. Painted on the side of the B.O.B - it's Perfect.

This barn could be my favorite. It's amazing. Simple and amazing.

This little piece of art is pretty cool too. She's quite a performer. But we didn't enter her in the contest - didn't want to show up everybody and make them feel bad.

Oh, Nessie. What will the Grand River be without your low, moaning growl. It just won't be the same.

Wait - what's this? A table and chairs? ON A BRIDGE? Could it be?

Why yes, it could. Huh.

This Boat Rocked. Literally and figuratively. What a dad-gum piece of art. Wow.

Seriously. Wow. Pictures do NOT do it justice.

Chihuly look-a-like.

I love gracefully dancing slender women sculptures.

Ewwww....recycling...how is this art?

BECAUSE IT'S IN THE FORM OF A "G". For GARBAGE? Get It? Me neither.

Oh - oh! This guy was awesome too. The art - I'm speechless!!

Look, look - it's all LITTLE MICHAEL JORDANS!!! I Love It!!!
The blow-up blowy thing caught Adalynn's attention.

Another seemingly benign, simple piece made out of ... wait for it ...

THUMBTACKS!!! Whodathunkit?

And a waterfall-ish masterpiece ... made out of ...

WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIAS!!! Oh, the clever people! I can hardly stand it!

Another favorite. On the outside it's a rhinoceros.

Oh the inside it's a bunch of tires! Fascinating!

So I tended toward the leftover art. I just like it and I give those artists my green stamp of approval. The performance art (the little bit that was out this evening) was great, different too. I like. The traditional art was of high quality as well. Overall, only a few that I am going to vote thumbs down on - not a bad percentage.

Summary: ArtPrize 2009 - you made a great inaugural run. Looking forward to next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rules for the final vote say we can pick only ONE entry - this is going to be HARD. Do I love Nessie more than the Rhino or the moose? What about the paper airplanes - that was way cool; and local talent to boot!! The canoe was incredible....and I still like those fish....

Ack!

Deb

j said...

geez, i didn't know u guys were in my neck of the wood.. Leeum and I live 5 mins from the downtown..