Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mmmmm. Fresh, Fall Apples!

Finally, after Banks running away and finding him, scouring the property for the property lines, sending Jeff and Jerilynn into blissful wedding bliss-dom - the kids and I felt the need for a PJ day. And it was fabulous. Without the obligation to wear clothes many belated chores were finished: vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, laundry and putting away clothes. But, best and most importantly of all: the apples that we bought over a week ago to can are CANNED. And the picked apples are either eaten or transformed into APPLE CHIPS. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Excuse the mess. This is definitely a BEFORE/DURING picture. After is much better. I promise...or maybe not too much. I'm awaiting the toilet installation to occur in the basement before I can move the canned goods downstairs into their resting place. But it will be much better. Hopefully. One day. Until then, I'm just glad it's clean.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Haha, I thought that said "pickled apples". Mmmm. So how did you can them, like in the form of sauce or just in slices? I was amazed at how little applesauce one big bag of apples made. We have to go pick more now.

Cara said...

Laura - I canned them as applesauce. I do apples, cinnamon and nutmeg. We like it. I blend about 1/2-3/4 to leave some chunks. I dried some apple slices then to make apple chips - Adalynn is in love.
I went to an apple orchard at 6mile and peach ridge - Dunnebacks - and they were selling sauce apples (cortlands? they are larger - less peeling!) for $10 a bushel. A bushel got us 11 quarts (the bigger jars) and 6 pints (the smaller jars) of applesauce. Sorry if I got the jar sizes wrong, I'm not good at that. :)

Laura said...

Dunnebacks is where we went too! I think we're going back this weekend b/c I want to freeze more applesauce. I've never tried canning although one of these days I need to bite the bullet and just do it. :) Scott wants to make pickles.