Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So, the first night after I cancelled cable, we actually still had cable running through our house's veins. And the second, third, and finally the 4th day the cable guy (hehe) came to disconnect. But, on that first night we lived it up and partied like it was 1999. or 2009. Trust me, Travis captured on camera Adalynn and I dancing and jiving in the living room. Wonderful experience, I wholeheartedly recommend weekly, if not daily, dancing parties.
However, we are not showing the video because I write this blog and upload the entertainment. Sorry.

Let's back up a little.
Since I am one who should not be bored (boredom + me = t-r-o-u-b-l-e), recently I learned a new hobby: Knitting. I've always known how to knit a little...mainly (ok, only) scarfs. After a while scarf after scarf gets boring and after searching I discovered a little gem of a forum called ravelry.com. It's a new love of mine - totally fun, sweet, sassy, and funky patterns of all sorts of stuff to knit (including thongs...who knew? and no, getcha mind outta the gutta, i will not be undertaking a thong pattern anytime soon.) Onto better things, I found this delicious pattern for fingerless gloves. (tiffany, merry christmas!!! i'm sorry i didn't get these to you sooner. i'm blocking them today and they will be in the mail for you by this weekend.)

It only took me three different yarns and 2 attempts (i knitted 1 whole glove just to find i knitted it inside out. not pretty.), but I got'er'dun.

2nd on the docket was Gloves for T. He was complaining that I don't love him enough to make him anything, as I mostly craft for the girls, so...eat this, buddy!


Next: Longies for Keely. For people who don't know, and not long ago I would have fallen into this category for sure, wool is an awesome, natural material for diaper covers. So, longies are basically knit wool pants. Yes, they can be out of other materials and created by other means (ie crocheted, sewed, etc), but for the sake of simplicity I am knitting Keely a pair. We may, or may not, use them as a diaper cover.

Either way, she will be one awesome lookin' 80s baby.

In other news. Yesterday we met Trav in town after work to buy items to organize our life (ie pantry) and spend the girls' gift certificates from Grandpa Bob and Grandma Lynn at Target.
On clearance we found a yummy (read: quite discounted) kitchen.

Adalynn fell in love. For the next 3 hours while assembling at home Travis discovered why it was on clearance. We're positive that a smart set of parents opened the box, looked at the gazillion step directions, multiple pieces, and large discrepancy between size of box and finished estimated size of project, and promptly taped it up and returned it.

Still. The beautiful kitchen turned out totally worth it.

Awwww!

I wish my kitchen looked this tidy and neat.

We moved our china cabinet to open up the dining room and positioned Adalynn's kitchen in place of the cabinet. Adalynn appears to like her corner of the world and setup shop reading to Keely. Notice that Adalynn follows her mom - not hardly 10 minutes of playing and she already has a sink full of dirty dishes and a counter full of stuff. Sorry girl, you're doomed.

Keely. Did you know she turned 6 months yesterday? In some ways it seems like just yesterday I was pregnant and waddling around, but mostly I feel like she's existed forever in our lives and I'm surprised she isn't older.

We have fallen seriously in love with this grin.

Overall, a joy. She smiles, grins, coos, giggles, and is growing busy busy busier every day. No more leaving any forbidden items within a 5' diameter - she'll find the treasure and eat it up!

She's growing stronger - still rolling front to back frequently, turning in circles, rising on her forearms and knees and rocking back and forth. Like she thinks she's going to crawl. And Keely has decided that 5:30am has a certain sweet ring to it - she loves to wake up and coo/giggle/growl herself into the corner of the crib so Mommy must wake to rescue. It's lovely.

Tiff, she loves this octopus. What a great idea - the legs are so colorful and make great noises when scratched and there are so many of them!

Even the songs aren't obnoxious. A huge bonus and hard to find!
So Keely, we're so glad you made it to 6 months. I know the odds are against you, with us as your parents, Adalynn as your sister, and the boys romping around, but just know - we'll always love you.

And, before I forget:
Scott and Laura - so true! I recall that as a younger child we'd stay a night in a hotel for vacation and always looked forward to 2 things: Jumping on the bed and Watching TV. Looks like that's what we're going back to!
Tiff - thanks! I love that picture too.
Also, Jean, I found a longies pattern. I've started it, I'm super excited.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Okay - let me know how they turn out and if you need yarn . . .however that would require that I find the replacement part to my spinning wheel and get spinning the huge bag of wool in the closet.

Did you find the pattern on Ravelry? I've never been there myself but my mom is also an addict of that site! :) I hear about it often from her.