Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anticipation of Disconnection.

December 30, 2009, as we drove up to the wild north, we discussed our TV. Cable, to be exact. And on this issue we derive from two total opposite ends of the spectrum: Cable never landed on my TV until I moved back to MI from TN....for Travis, he's never known anything else.
So we talked about cable. And a possible switch of services to Satellite. Or something else. Anything to take a break from the ever-rising cost of cable and the fight every 6 months when we receive a bill that is $30 over our normal bill, I call and tell them to bring it back down, they tell me to shove it and finally fine, but they're removing all the fun out of experiencing cable. SO. We've put up with it so far as the internet runs as much as cable+internet, but the very nice woman I spoke with on the 30th let it slip that there might be a lower internet price. Hmmmm.
SO. Travis, on the 30th, experienced my pain of dealing with the cable and dish companies as he listened to me nicely negotiating with both. Maybe it was the holidays, or the roofie I slipped him on the way up, or our impending house build (?), farm raising, trips, truck...for whatever reason, he uttered, "After the 7th, Why don't we just take a break from cable?"
Now, I love me some HGTV, I'm not gonna lie. But hmmm. It's too tempting to say no. So tomorrow starts a month long haitus, and maybe longer.
And I gotta admit, I'm excited.

2 comments:

Scott said...

We miss it on occasion, but it just isn't worth the cost to us, either. And with a good antenna, you can at least get true HD channels of all the locals. 19 channels for free (ok, only 7 or 8 are any good) in digital quality, plus hulu.com and others works for us. Plus it makes staying in hotels extra fun for the "free" cable! :)

Laura said...

Haha, its true, Scott and I look forward to all hotel stays so we can watch cable! One time there was a "survivorman" marathon. It was great. But I really don't miss it at home.