Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our 'lil Genius Child

Conincidentally (or not?) we bring Adalynn to the same Pediatrician office that I went to when I was little. Different Dr (I went to school with this one's daughter), but seems as though we have history with all the docs there...the one I went to when I was little treated me for Spinal Meningitis. Travis went to school with another Dr's children, and Naomi now goes to this doctor. This morning at 9am, our appointment went alot like this:

"Hi Cara and Adalynn, how's it going?"

"Say 'hi' to the Dr.! It's going good." (Adalynn grins)

"Well, let's get her height and weight." I strip her down to her diaper and she gets measured and weighed.

"Looks like she is taller than all but 1% of other kids her age, and weighs more than 90%. But that's a perfect weight for her height. Good." (1 point for Adalynn)

"What words does she have now?"

"Quite a few. Let's see....Mama, Daddy, doggy, woof-woof, Kelsey, Patches, quack-quack, moo, ball, up, wa-wa, bottle, potty, pee-pee, poopy, Nana, Papa, Opa, Oma, Naomi, book, nigh-night, eat, shoe, sock, hi, bu-bye, all done....and that's all I can think of right now. Not all are perfectly clear, but she gets her point across pretty well."

"Wow, kids her age generally have 4-6words, so she's doing good. Is she eating good?" (2 points....and counting)

"Yea, as long as we don't feed her the same thing 2 days in a row. Let's see, she eats a lot of fruit, some veggies, loves cheese, and a lot of different textures and tastes. She's not a big sweets eater. She drinks about 16+ ounces of milk a day. She is 75% accomplished with a spoon and fork. She drinks out of a straw."

"That sounds good. She should be having 20 ounces of milk a day, but if she gets 16 and some cheese or yogurt that will bring her up to 20. How does she sleep? Naps?" (Man, oh man, she's on a roll!)

"She sleeps good in a toddler bed. She takes 1-2naps a day, generally 1 when she's away from home, 1-2 at home."

"This is the time when toddlers take 1-2 naps, transitioning down from 2 naps to 1. Very normal. Let me see her walk." I let her down. She walks to the door, then I call her back to me and she runs back. Doc laughs.

"I know, her legs are turned in a bit."

"Yup, they are. But they are turned in from the hip, and they'll keep straightening out until she's 6. It's normal and she looks good. So what shots are we doing today?" (Adalynn is on a delayed vaccine schedule.)

"I would like to wait on the MMR until she's 2. So I think that she would only have the HIB today."

"There's a shortage of HIB right now, so we actually aren't giving the 15month dose anyway. We can either substitute another one or she can do them at 18months. But I don't think she needs an 18 month well-child visit, I only do those if I have concerns about the child's development. But I have no concerns here, she's way ahead."

"We can wait. I'll bring her in for 18month shots." I didn't figure it would hurt for her to go to the Dr and NoT get a shot!

"Ok, Adalynn do you want a ducky?" He gives Adalynn a little rubber bath ducky. I shot her in the face with air and she laughed. Then she blew her nose in the duck.....ok....maybe not a genius baby yet!

"She has a great smile. See ya later!"

"Bu-bye!" (from Adalynn)

*
Sorry for you to have to hear that brag-fest...wait...no I'm not. I'm her mother, and I'm very proud of her. Way ahead....YOU GROW GIRL!!!! (just not too fast, k?)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yay, Adalynn! We are proud of her too! :)

Tiffany said...

I told you she was a genius! All those words make me smile!!! And all those food textures. She's an SLP's dream!