Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Ethical Dilemna

Since returning to Grand Rapids, I have been faced many times with a problem...issue...HUGE FRUSTRATION about the lack of pediatric based therapy available. I cringe when I speak with parents who share frustrations and guilt about their children who either don't qualify for school-based therapy or who aren't getting enough from just school based therapy. And after working with the schools and at on an outpatient basis with pediatrics, I can vouch that the schools are too overloaded to provide one-on-one therapy to kids who are performing at an academically average level, even though they may demonstrate severe behavior or inattention or lack of coordination or social awkwardness. I think that the school system does a great job, but when it comes to Sensory Integration issues, the therapist's don't have the time to sit down with the parents and provide education, tailor a sensory diet that will carryover at home and at school, and conduct sensory integration treatment with the child in a setting where the child is normally pulled out into a small closet...or treated in the school room. (There may be exceptions, and I'm sure that there are, but the role of a School-based therapist is just that...that they work with the child at school to support their academic achievement. Just like it is my belief that teachers shouldn't have to teach children manners and social skills that their parents should be teaching at home. Reinforcing, yes. Teaching, no.).
I really get fired up about this, can you tell? *wink* Most of my frustration stems from knowing that I am skilled in outpatient occupational therapy, and I really want to help these families. Because I can. Because I know that it makes a difference. Because these kids are so awesome and are so at risk to fall through the cracks. And that's not ok.
I just don't know what to do about it. I get this urgency, nervousness and butterflies in my stomach when I think about it. Excited. But then, today, when we got home from church I had a little talk with God. It went like this: "God, I'm so concerned about these children and families." and God said, "Cara, I have a plan. Just rest. It will be revealed in My time."
And so I'm going to listen. and wait. and pray for these children and their families. and i will act if, when, and in whatever order that God leads me to.

1 comment:

Karthy said...

Heh, I wish I read this before I talked about going to the school for help (in my email). Our issue with finding help has been what Ian's insurance covers. At this point, I don't know what other options we have since we probably can't afford paying for anything out of pocket if the need arises to that. (I'm not trying for pity, or saying, 'hey, help us b/c we know your sister', it's just the hand we've been dealt at this point in life. But, I do totally agree with your post. There are a lot of kids (and parents!) out there that need more...