Monday, June 2, 2008

I am a TOTAL copycat, sorry Tiffany. But, she put up this great link to Shaun Grove's Shlog on Simplicity. And it's a thinker, so I wanted to pass it along. (T - no groaning allowed!) If you have any thoughts, let me know. Realistic? or totally Not Realistic At All? (but, should it be?!?) And you should have thoughts, because otherwise you are boring. and need to start thinking again. yea....
ETA (edited to add) more opinion on this. I don't think that total simplicity is necessarily healthy, just like total consumerism or excessive materialism isn't. I think a healthy medium has to be found, a good balance. It would be really easy for me to get caught up in living as simply as possible and miss the meaning of life: to live for Christ, and instead be hung up on the latest organic product or thing to get rid of. Am I being selfish or trying to justify what we have because we are very blessed? I hope I don't come off like that. Sometimes people who are all natural, granola-ey, minimize material things, and live very simply seem to walk around spouting off all they don't have and how it is the only way to live. I think it's different for everyone, and we all need to find our happy place where we can focus on the most important things in life. and it is an ever moving, learning, searching, and tweaking progression.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Girl, you are deep. So Shaun has added more posts about simplicity. I agree with you both, that it must be a balance and that there is no recipe, just what works for your family. This is definitely something to strive for though. I find it really easy to focus on the things I don't have (i.e. house) or that I don't make as much money as some of my friends, but I have reminding myself of all the blessings I DO have. I have a pretty great life when I really think about it.

So, Mammoth Cave, let's do it. Do you guys have a free weekend this summer?