Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Morning FarM Routine and More

On the days I work, I load Adalynn and Keely in the car and drive into town. Stopping briefly on the way to feed Cindy, then continue to a Nana or Grandma's house, depending on the day.
But on the days I don't work, well, this is when the magic happens.
We slowly open our eyes as the kids cuddle and jostle us awake. We eat breakfast, and T leaves for work, feeding Cindy on the way. We play a little, Keely returns to her crib for a morning nap, and Adalynn and I prepare to feed the chickens.

Adalynn loves to feed her chickens.

And she's good at it too.

The hens are ready, clamoring at their door.

Praying for yogurt, berries, or any miscellaneous kitchen scraps that may have found their way into their bowl.

Say 'hi' to Big Mama! She rules the roost.

Chickie bokeh, I think I'm in love!

This past workapalooza weekend T picked up 2 wheels for the coop which morphed the henhouse from a stable object into an all-out Eggmobile. The next addition will be swag at the bottom in the back to cover the small opening where the wheels raised it off the ground. The fire dept recently trashed old fire hose, I think it'll do the trick.

Also this weekend we constructed our feeble attempt to save our neighbors from our no-good-very-bad-dog-eating-double-teaming wolfdogs. While I'm worried they'll tear up the grass, I guess no grass is better than no house when we lose it from being sued due to a dog attack.

And I planted some garden plants. My poor indoor seeds are waning, turns out they don't appreciate being thrown on the floor. I'm crossing my pinkie toes a few tomatoes will rise through the darkness, and that the carrots, kale, spinach, peas and lettuce will take off. So far, nothing. But we'll keep you updated. Because we know, it makes your day.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It makes my day! :) I like the dog area. You could let the chickens run around in there, too (maybe not with the dogs).

Tiffany said...

Loving the reference to the Eggmobile - Joel Salatin is my hero!! Also loving the new tunic. You are seriously going to have to teach me to knit - maybe my child will decide that sleeping really is fun soon!