Sunday, July 18, 2010

FarMin a Hay Loft

This weekend, we spent Saturday and Sunday building a hay loft. We dug the initial holes 3' deep holes by hand, 12'x12' to fit concrete slabs for a solid foundation. Seriously, if given the chance? Don't Do It. 6 hours later we were still digging....wait....That's an exaggeration....I think...

It was hot, and we were suffering from exhaustion from partying too hard and long at K's 1 year birthday party on Friday (pictures to come - no flogging please). Keely fought fatigue long and hard.

As did Adalynn.

And the kitties.

But Cindy decided she was too old for this s@*! and succumbed to her sleepies.

Today, my dad and stepmom graciously offered their time and hands to help T while I drove into town for a wedding shower. I fought typhoon class thunderstorms traveling home, and after the weather calmed I coerced my family into traveling out to the property with me.
Partially because I was worried something like this might happen, and I might need my dear husband's muscles and (more importantly) chainsaw:

Adalynn cheered right up when she saw the kitties. She misses those buggers! (for the record, i do not. i do not miss waking up 10,340 times per night with a cat on my head. i do not miss chasing houdini trained escapee cats into the garage. i do not miss everything on my dining room table landing on the floor as a cat launches from the table, through the air, onto a chair, into the living room, and landing on the floor after bouncing off the couch and k's head. no, i do not miss them, sam i am.)

(but, this 'lil smile is PRICELESS. and could persuade me tolerate the above.)
The Loft is Fab-U-Lous.

Let's give a Woot! Woot! to the guys!
In this door and directly to the left will be a tack/feed/stuff room. With a ladder in the back for a super secret entryway into the hay loft. In between the 2 middle posts will be Cindy's/the Frolicking Foal's stall, and from the end post to the far wall will be Peach aka Big Mama's 'hood.

The hay loft floor is comprised of repurposed boards from a farm in Grandville.

To do: Nail down boards. Which, according to T, will require more work than simple nailing to accommodate for nails and inconsistencies in the boards. I'm convinced it is beautiful, just the way it is, but I'm kinda a romantic about these sorts of things. Canyatell?

2 comments:

Laura said...

The cats look right at home in the barn. :)

Anonymous said...

We stopped out Saturday and the chickens and horses told us all about the barn - the place ROCKS! No seriously - I like the rocks at the bottom of the hole.... I see a great rock garden in the future out there :-)

Deb