Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Harvest Fest 2010

We have some projects we've been working on out at the barn, but they aren't quite done. (many, many thanks to my Dad, Linda, and brother for helping this last weekend!) So I'll show some very late Halloween pictures instead.
In the middle of October each year (for the last 2 years) we (meaning my Dad, Linda, and us children and families) drive up to Traverse City to participate in the State Park's Harvest Festival. Last year we camped out of the back of our trucks...in freezing cold weather...when Keely was a mere 3 months old. This year Dad and Linda bought a camper. So the kids slept their sweet selves in that while T and I hunkered down in a 24' trailer. Not meant for camping. And no, I'm not kidding.
Saturday we carved pumpkins.


And decorated our campsite. (i give all credit for the decorations to my sister and her ingenuity. i hardly completed my kids costumes in time). The cardboard box out front of the decorations declared our fondness for reusing items. My sister and her kiddos crafted bats out of used toilet paper rolls and newspaper, ghosts out of used paper and plastic bags. Cute!

We chilled by the campfire and the boys tossed the pigskin around...

Our theme was "Sesame Street", and we all dressed up as characters. My niece and nephew: Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

A: Abby Cadaby. And watch out if you call her a princess - she is not a princess. She is Abby Cadaby! And will correct you quite emphatically.

K: Elmo, my bro: the Cookie Monster.
My brother-in-law: the annoying sponsorship telephone guy, and my sister and I were Yip-yips.

After costume judging, in which A won a $5 gift cert to Burger King, my nephew won something, and my brother-in-law, we trekked over to "the bridge" to take pictures as a whole, large group.

And then trick-or-treated to our hearts content.
Another funny story: We were hanging out at the campsite on Saturday, my niece had crawled into the back of our truck to get something for me when T's siren started howling and lights flashed. Out from behind the truck walks Jack and his daughter, T's co-firefighter back here at home. It's a small world!

Laura: The horse is Jacks...he is here temporarily-ish for some groceries and rehab. The vet thinks he has an old injury, and most likely he does, but he wasn't looking to good after the summer. Jack has sold his other horses, so we have Bucky here so he isn't alone...most likely being alone was not helping him gain weight and heal. Since he's been here he has gained probably about 50lbs so far and I think looks much more relaxed as he's settling into a routine. Hopefully the good results keep coming!

No comments: